Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday Wine Pick........for Spring!


I know it has been all stormy and crappy but my grass is growing like crazy and I have hostas bigger than Lisa Lampinelli's ass. Soccer is in full swing and I'm watching games in fold up chair with a sippy cup that I have to make sure my kids don't take a swig out of if you know what I mean. My wife and I like to chat with Mr. Daniels as we watch the game if you know what I mean.


Anyway, all that makes me think of Spring wines and I had one I really like this week.


Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.


Wines from this part of the world have a very unique but identifiable aroma and that is grapefruit. These are the most grapefruity wines you've ever smelled. But they also have very crisp, bright acidity and the better examples sport more than just the pedestrian grapefruit flavor of some of the more popular brands. Nope this one also has some gooseberry and a very pleasant herbaceous quality that really does scream SPRING! It isn't really grassy though you might say that.......it is more like a garden smell. I love it.


This is a great porch wine, a great salad wine....especially maybe a seafood salad. I think I would love this with ceviche. I wonder if you could actually use the wine instead of lemon juice? I would love it with mussels. Serve it on the patio to your friends. They will love it.


Final note: Don't freak out. It has a screw cap but you know what??? I can't remember ever seeing any New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc not in a screw cap.


Where I had it: EBT...........and no I'm not in the AARP nor do I have blue hair. I know what you are thinking but I'll tell you something. These guys are doing something right. I had a very nice lunch there. Talk about under the radar.


No comments: