Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Taking over an old hobby




We found some stacks of old baseball cards when going through some of my dad's things last weekend. I didn't know he collected baseball cards.........I guess at some point he stopped cause he never talked about it. Maybe he forgot. He was a big baseball fan.




I've always been a fan of the Negro Leagues with all the history here in KC. My dad used to tell me a story about an old black guy he worked with at a filling station when he was young who used to play in the Negro Leagues.




I met Buck O'Neil a few times. Great guy.




Anyway..........kinda interesting in that in his stack of cards was a card from a guy I always thought was very cool even before the Ken Burns documentary. Satchel Paige.....listed as Leroy "Satchel" Paige on the card when he crossed over and broke into the majors with the Indians. It say it is from 1949 from Leaf Gum Company. It is in from what I can tell really, really good condition.




There are lots of old cards, it looks like he preferred cards from people from the Kansas City A's, Royals, or people who played here at some point. Of course a bunch of George Brett in there.




I'm thinking of taking over the hobby.........didn't really care about it as a kid myself even though I love baseball. I'd rather throw the ball than talk about it. Probably ought to figure out what they are worth.........if anything. I get tired of all those old stories about someone finding valuable cards in the attic....blah, blah, blah......




No comments: